In Arizona, half day kindergarten is still the norm. The state pulled funding a couple years ago because the majority of state legislators felt that full day kindergarten was too expensive for our state and a few actually called it "tax-payer funded all day babysitting". I did a research paper on the subject of full-day kindergarten recently. Before I did the paper I felt that half day was better because it allowed the children to ease into school and that it was more developmentally appropriate rather than to have the children working on academics at such an early age. I felt that the majority of people who wanted to have their children in full-day kindergarten, were parents who worked full-time who wanted to save on child care costs. Also with so much riding on standardized tests, schools wanted to get the children started early on academic excellence.
After my research, I feel quite differently. Did you know that historically the first kindergartens were full day? Kindergartens didn't go to half days until the 1940's when World War II took women teachers away from the classrooms to work with the war effort at home and the baby boom perpetuated the teacher shortage.
So, that is a little history lesson... Gradually, kindergarten has become increasingly academic as results of standardized testing have become more important in determining funding for public schools. These test results even determine whether or not a school will remain open and whether or not teachers will have jobs. So much is riding on them that preparation for the tests begins earlier and earlier. With only 2 hours and 45 minutes of classroom time, guess what kindergarten teachers are going to teach? Are they going to have music and art time? Are the kids going to be able to have adequate time for dramatic play which is so important for this age?
Full day kindergarten gives children time for play, for music and art, for outside play, time to be kids and time for instruction. The teachers can mix it up a bit more. Full day kindergarten doesn't mean more instruction necessarily, it usually means more time for developmentally appropriate activities, a more relaxed atmosphere, and more time for the arts and physical activity. So, that's why I think that it is better....
Claire is enjoying her time at school, however short the school day may be. She comes home singing songs and happy. And that makes me happy.
4 comments:
WOw! Claire is in school! She is such a big girl! Thanks for posting that. We have all-day kindergarden here in VA. It is State wide and I felt kinda stressed about it. YOu have helped put me at ease. Claire is sucha pretty girl!
What a big grown up girl Claire is. Rose starts on Tuesday, I can't believe they are that old now. Where did the time go. Thanks for the history lesson. I never really thought of that perspective, I've only missed them being at home.
Our school chose all day kinder and they were the only one in our district until Kylie started Kinder... I guess I don't know how they can save Money by cutting the time kids spent at school. They still have to pay teachers salaries for full day! They still have to cool the classrooms...
Claire looks cute with her backpack! I bet it looks huge on her.
Wow! I can't believe Claire is in kindergarten! She seemed so much younger than Gwen but I guess that isn't really true :) She is and always has been so darling!
Post a Comment