Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Potty?

The other day I decided to take Claire swimming. Just us girls. The only problem is I told her that we could go swimming before I realized that we were out of swimmy diapers. So in order to prevent a two year old tantrum, I put a regular old Sam's diaper on my girl and we proceeded to the pool. "Diaper Heavy!" she says about 10 minutes into pool time. Every time she got out of the pool, I couldn't help but laugh. By the time we got home, her diaper had swollen up so much it was about to explode off of her. It could hardly be contained by the amount of water from the pool it had sopped up. I knew this would be the result. I should probably be embarrassed to show these pictures, but I just thought it was so funny.



"Batten down the hatches... she's about to blow!"


So, Claire is in the beginning stages of potty training. I am trying to get into the habit of putting her on the potty first thing in the morning and a little after a meal during the day. So far, we've had some luck, but not much. When we have success we do a conga line to "Poo poo in the Potty!" and she gets lots of praise and an M&M... Looks like she's enthused I know... Lately she just sits there and sings songs and gets bored and gets up and wants her diaper back.


One friend told me that she just waits till her kids are three before potty training. She says that they don't really get it till age three anyway and she'd rather not have to deal with all the accidents. Any advice? Should I wait a little longer?

4 comments:

Strong Family - said...

I agree...depends on how much you want to clean up accidents. My boys were 3 1/2 and almost 4 1/2 (let's not get in to Zach's stubborness). Savannah actually tried at about 21 months on her own, but it didn't last very long. I waited until she seemed ready...about 3 months before she turned 3. With all of my kids the worst of the accidents is maybe some wet clothes, but never bad puddles even. They would always tell me immediately if they had a stinky accident, which meant much easier clean-up and much more contained. Savannah's been the best by far. For me it was so worth it to wait. I will say however that if she will willingly sit for you on the potty I wouldn't stop it. That's where we had issues with Zach. Okay, that was way more than you wanted, sorry! :-)

Keeping up with the Bonacci's said...

Don't know about that one, but I do know that Claire is such a PRETTY girl! Beautiful!

Oh, that diaper pic busted my gut! "Diaper heavy!" I'm still laughing!

chelon:) said...

love the diaper!! as far as potty training advice, i just do it when i know they are ready. :) my girls were ready around 2 1/2 and kyle was ready at 2. it worked out great! now if i could get gabe trained...maybe i should bring him over to your house!!

The Richardson Clan said...

Cute story about the swim diaper. Xavier did a similar thing and it's hilarious how big those things get. I wish I could help with the potty training, but if you learn any good tips pass em down. Good luck!