One of Claire and Ezekiel's first "playdates"
Halloween Party... Claire is the chicken... EZ is the Ninja...
Claire and EZ in Texas last summer
When Aaron graduated, the first job offer he got was in Texas. I was literally going crazy working full-time and not being able to be with Claire. So, he took it. I sometimes wonder if we should have been more patient, but I try not to think about it. What helped is that Johanna's husband got a summer internship with the same company. I was so happy to not be working and we were back to doing something together almost every day. At the end of the summer it was hard to watch their family go back to Michigan, but we had hopes that they would be back with an offer from Dell the next year.
Netta and NoelSo now here we are another year gone by and they are back! The number of children we have between us has doubled. I had Noel in April and she gave birth to Netta in May. It has been so nice catching up and getting acquainted with the new little ones. One of the best things of all is that for the first time since we moved here, Aaron and I went to a movie with no kids. I guess that isn't entirely true - when Aaron's parents came to visit we have been able to make it out to see Harry Potter 5 last year, but still, that was over a year ago! Anyway, Johanna and her husband took care of all four kids on Saturday and let Aaron and I go and see Prince Caspian. I can't say enough how grateful I am for the chance to get out. Aaron and I haven't been able to afford a babysitter since I quit working and it is so nice to able to have someone here who is willing to swap services. Since we both have two kiddos and the ages line up I don't feel guilty, like it's more work for her than it is for me or vice versa.
So we have gone swimming together and had each other over to our homes. Things have gone relatively well. Until this week... We tried to go to my ward's playgroup this week at the Brushy Creek splash park and that was kind of a disaster when Claire ran into a couple of boys and fell and hit her head on the pavement. Her crying set off Noel's crying. So Johanna got Noel calmed down while I sat with Claire. We ended up leaving disappointed. Then... another disaster was a trip to the dollar theater to try to see 'Horton Hears a Who' with all four kids. Neither Claire nor EZ wanted to stay in their seats and were fighting in the isles. Noel was fussy, but wouldn't eat. Netta, the sweet little girl, slept through the whole thing thankfully. But we decided to leave.
I guess the point of this post (inspired by her post) is to thank Johanna for her friendship and for getting me to try new things with the kids. Things haven't gone ideally this week, but I'm so glad that you guys are back and close by. Some things are going to go well and some are going to go badly - hopefully we'll be able to look back and have some good laughs. But I'm glad to have opportunities to get out and have experiences and make some memories. Mostly, I'm so glad to have my friend back.


4 comments:
I know what you mean about having a friend with kids exactly the same age...it makes you feel fine about swapping babysitting for sure (I always feel guilty swapping my 4 for Erin Benoit's 2). How fun that your friend is back!!! If you ever want to come and hang out here you are always welcome too! I'm just horrible about inviting people, thinking "Oh, they're probably busy." And from my numerous attempts to take young kids to the movies...it never works (so don't feel too discouraged). :-) Lauree
It would be nice to have someone in our situation near by. You are really lucky to have Johanna and she you.
How fun to have such a close friend, especially to have it work out so well with your kids ages too.
We are back now, so we should definately get together.
I know... I miss the days when both you and Johanna were minutes away. Now i'm on my own =[ Missing you both. Cute kids.
Post a Comment