Sunday, November 15, 2009

Desert Botanical

PHX libraries offer free passes to local museums, the zoo, and the Desert Botanical Gardens. We have been using them lately to take the opportunity to get to know Phoenix a little better. The desert landscape isn't exactly my favorite. When I think of a garden, I think of lush trees and plants, and colorful flowers - MSU.

But I learned a lot about agave and cacti and mesquite trees - which can be really lovely.

They had some displays of indigenous habitats and how they survive in the Sonora Valley desert. It was very interesting and the kids enjoyed it.

Claire took a turn grinding mesquite beans into flour.

Then we went to the Monarch Butterfly exhibit. They make a stop here (I don't think these ones did it voluntarily) during their migration to Mexico. You can see the butterflies all huddled together on the mesh wall.



Noel saw us pointing and thought he would point too -


But he soon found one to point at


Pointing at us some more... if you look closely you can see two butterflies behind him.


And the capstone moment! Butterflies mating on Daddy! Aaron's look is priceless.

We really enjoyed it. Had to pay extra to see the butterflies, but all in all we had an enjoyable time!

4 comments:

Janssen said...

Arent' the library passes a brilliant thing? They have them here in Boston, too, although they usually are a discount, rather than free. But still. . .awesome.

The Richardson Clan said...

What a fun outing! Definitely different scenery from Michigan, but beautiful too!

Rebekah said...

It is so pretty! And did you have to pay more to see the butterflies due to the x-rated show? :)

Keeping up with the Bonacci's said...

Looks like fun. Hey i'd pay extra to have butterflies share the love on me too. Ok, no I wouldn't, i was trying to be clever but just sounds like a freak-o-freaky-freak!