Monday, February 7, 2011

Favorite Super Bowl Commercials and Why...




O.k. this one is just cute. It also reminds me of me a little bit. Sometimes, I like to think big. Like I have the power to be super mom, super wife, super cook, etc... When I start to think that I can do it all alone, I usually fail miserably. The truth is, I can't do it alone. Like our mini Darth Vader here. He tries and tries to use the power of the "dark side of the force", but he doesn't see any results until he gets a little help from his father.

I just can't seem to get things to go right, until I give credit to my Heavenly Father and put Him and His Son first in my life. I also need help from others: my husband, my parents, friends, and even my children in order to succeed at life. I know, kind of a crazy analogy, but it's funny how much this commercial made me laugh... then...made me think.




I'm not from Detroit. But for a while in the 80's, my family lived not too far from it in St. Clair Shores. It was still the fifth largest city in the country and my dad worked downtown. I was proud. My parents took us to the Ice Capades once in Joe Lewis Arena when I was about 8 or 9 years old. I thought Detroit was amazing. The big buildings, the excitement, the Detroit River. I was always so in awe that right across the river was another country - Canada (which is no big deal now, but back then it was).

In my twenties, besides trips to see concerts or to visit the DIA once, most of my trips to that part of the state were to the northern suburbs. Aaron and I were married in the Detroit temple (in Bloomfield Hills). People would always say bad things about Detroit, but I guess I was in denial or just plain ignorant.

Anyway, I am still fascinated with Detroit, especially with it's architecture and it's history. It's been years since I have visited. My last visit to the DIA and Wayne State University really opened my eyes to the devastating effects of the tough economy and white flight. Just about every other home (beautiful and large homes, btw) was abandoned with missing windows and had evidence of fire damage. I was in awe again. But this time, with the disappointment and sadness I felt for my beloved forgotten city.

I am still pulling for Detroit. And for all the other Michigan cities that are struggling. Anytime I see an article or documentary about revitalization efforts, I am sucked in. I can't help it.

What is it about people from Michigan and their hope, love, and pride for their state? Claire only lived there for the first 11 months of her life and she talks about going to visit all the time. It has this pull on us. Though when I'm there I complain constantly about the long winters and the church being so small, I always long to go back.

Does Michigan pride compare with Texas pride? Having lived in both states, I would say yes, but Michigan pride isn't as pretentious -unless you're talking to fans of that infamous school in Ann Arbor...

1 comment:

kdbonacci said...

I can't say that I put as much thought into that Darth Vadar add as you did but nice insight! I'll never see it the same again.
However, I feel the same way you do about MI. That commerial made me get weepy. I have such a longing for home whenever I think about MI. It is a beautiful place and the people, well, you won't find a better group of people anywhere! I would love to get back there soon. Even though I have spent the majority of my adult life outside of MI, I it will always be where I am from.