So Aaron applied to graduate school. Six of them actually. Five of them accepted him and four even offered him money. So - we've heard from all of them and now we have to make a decision and it's kind of hard. We have our decision down to two schools: Syracuse University and Arizona State University.
Syracuse has the top rated Public Affairs school in the nation. Beats Harvard and Princeton. Aaron has been offered a Research Assistantship (10 offered out of 100 students) with SOME tuition paid and a monthly stipend. The program would take one full year - June 2009- June 2010. Syracuse, NY has weather very similar to Lansing, MI and cost of living is fairly low. The program would be the most expensive (even though it is only one year)- but it's the best school with a 99% placement rate upon graduation. For Aaron's particular areas of interest, however, which is Urban Management, it ranks about 9th in the country.
Arizona State University has offered Aaron a place with the Marvin Andrews scholars. That means he will be a research assistant the first year and will have an internship the second year and be placed with a mentor who is working in the field of Urban Management. They had only four spots available this year. This opportunity includes full tuition paid and a bigger stipend than Syracuse offered - however a higher cost of living and it will obviously take two years to complete. This program is offered in downtown Phoenix. For Public Affairs, overall ASU is ranked 25th nationwide - for Urban Management it is ranked 6th.
What would you do? We need to answer ASU Monday. It's a nice coincidence that fast Sunday is this week-end...
11 comments:
Congratulations on two excellent choices! I know you will make the choice that is right for your family. If I were choosing for myself, I'd hope the right choice would be Syracuse. :)
PICK ARIZONA!!!!!! :D Is cost of living really that much less in NY? I guess to me the cost of living here doesn't seem too bad... I'll rent you guys my house if you want! :D
P.S. If you guys do pick Arizona, let me know, I'd be happy to help you find a place to live, etc. And if you pick New York, I have a friend who is currently in Syracuse and may be able to give you some ideas of good places to live etc.
What a tough choice! I am usually a long-term kind of thinker. It sounds to me as though Syracuse is the best choice in the long run. At least you are deciding between two good things! After fasting and prayer I am sure you will make the right decision for your family. Good luck!
Definitely a tough one! Syracuse is closer to Boston, so that's a pro as far as we're concerned. And you can't beat one year for a master's degree, as I am currently well aware.
Then again, the AZ deal sounds excellent too, especially since I bet the internship in AZ would be really helpful for Aaron to figure out what he wants to do full-time afterward. My vote is AZ, but we'll gladly accept you in the northeast!
I would pick Arizona, since I lived there for ten years and I don't think the cost of living is very high (depending of course on where you live--if it is downtown Phoenix then it would be high, but there are much better places to live). Of course to me the weather is much better in Arizona too. Good luck with the decision and congratulations.
Oh, guys, what a choice! I will be praying for you. Congrats on the opportunities!!!!!
I would think his area of interest would be more important in the whole scheme of things, but it's hard for me to say. And as long as an extra year seems now, in the whole scheme of things, an extra year is nothing if it really is a better fit. So I don't know which is better, but my advice is to not worry about the extra year TOO much.
Ok, we pick NY and here is why.
1. You don't want to attend a school that pressures you into making a decision as serious as this. 3 days to decide, gimme a break!
2. 1 year program
3. 99% placement
4. Done with school sooner even if Aaron decided to get a Doctorate (which you know he will, eternal student husband of yours).
5. You won't have to go through this again because you will already be at a great school.
6.9th is not at all bad!
7. Close to FAMILY!!!! Will make hoildays and birthdays so much more fun!
8. Peter wants to see his cousins more.
9. Cost of living is not bad.
10. Donovan McNabb went there (Matt is came up with some of these)
11. YOu can get to INDY that much faster and we will live close for a while before you do, we have always wanted to live close :)
12. East coast schools are more prestigious.
13. Close to church history sites
14. NYC baby!
15. Aaron doesn't like Big cities, he would be much more comfortable in Syracuse.
If you don't live in Phoenix, you can totally find affordable housing (like Mesa, parts of Tempe, etc). Also, even though the program at Syracuse is only one year, how much is the tuition for that one year? Just think, no snow for 2 years if you go to ASU :)
Good Luck!
Emily, you are not helping! You guys love the snow and you love the fact that Aaron will be working and done with school much faster than if you go off into the desert.
But since we are on the subject of cheaper...Delaware offered you a bunch of money too, and that is less than an hour away from us. Just think, Peter and Noel could play all the time, I would babysit for you anytime. Just think about it!
Post a Comment