Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Pop or Soda?

We spent half the week and part of the week-end on a trip to visit North Texas University. Aaron was invited to visit the campus and interview for a fellowship. The kids and I tagged along for the tour of the campus. Everyone was so nice and welcoming and we enjoyed being 'on campus' again. My Dad came down from Oklahoma to have dinner with us and then drove the kids and I up to Oklahoma. Aaron stayed the night in a hotel and had his interview the next day. Then he met back up with us Thursday at my parent's house.

The kids were able to meet their Uncle Mike, who they had never met before. He is staying with my parents for a little while and will be going to be taking some college classes soon. We really had fun having him there and the kids just loved playing with him. I wish I would have remembered to bring the camera. I would have liked to have some pictures of them all playing together.

The night before we left we decided to take a ride on Route 66. It goes right through Edmond, OK, where my parents live. There is a place called 'Pops' not too far down the road. It's a truck stop/restaurant/gas station/convenience store with a Soda pop theme. I was expecting an old truck stop, but the place was very modern and fun. Pop bottles are displayed up and down the glass walls and you can pick any brand/flavor of soda that you can think of. The have a whole fridge stocked with just assorted root beers. We grabbed a six pack bottle holder and filled it up with random sodas.

On our ride back to Texas, Saturday, Claire was being such a good girl. It takes a good 6 hours of driving time to get home. At about the 5th hour of being in the car - we had to make a stop for a restroom break and she was complaining that she felt sick. I didn't think much of it since she says that sometimes when she's just tired. She had eaten lunch pretty well and Aaron had given her some of his lemonade - well - a whole sippy cup full. Then, while waiting for me to finish nursing Noel, they decided to dance a bit. They were so cute, daddy daughter dancing in the parking lot. For the home stretch Aaron decided to break open his Grape soda from 'Pops'.
Since Claire was being such a good girl and probably didn't want to get back into the car he decided to share and filled the sippy cup right back up. Grape Soda... You see where this is going....

Not too far down the road... I looked back at Claire after I had handed her a snack (dumb me) and she spewed purple all over! We pulled over off the frontage road into some industrial parking lot and stripped her down and tried to clean her up as best as we could. Luckily, we had paper towels, baby wipes and extra clothes from the trip so that she didn't have to go home in just a diaper. Claire was acting as though she felt much better and we made it home in less than an hour. Then, we spent Saturday night doing laundry and cleaning her car seat. None of us had much of an appetite...

The moral of this story is - no soda in the sippy! And if this story doesn't convince you of that maybe this one will. I'm curious, do you call it Soda or Pop?

3 comments:

Slick said...

You know me... I call it soda. And in my defense I didn't hear her say anything about not feeling well.

Keeping up with the Bonacci's said...

I call it soda. I really liked Pops when we went there. I got a Fago Red Pop Soda, it reminded me of family reunions in MI. But after I took my first sip I rememberd that I don't like Red Pop.Yuck! I shoulda went for Rock and Rye.

Just a girl said...

I always called it pop growing up...now I refer to what ever I am drinking by brand name :)

Sounds like quite the adventure...