Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The perfect trail


Nichols Arboretum, Ann Arbor, MI

Everywhere I've lived I've tried to find places to go walking and running. I was a little disappointed to find out that once we got here there was nowhere to go nearby. I wish that we could just get up and go for a walk, but we live right on the frontage road of a big freeway and it's way too busy. Somedays when I am motivated and feeling green concientious, I will just put Claire in the jogging stroller we'll stoll around our apartment complex parking lot. Boring... but effective. It's got a nice hill and I'll bet its almost a mile around. Yet, I want better scenery. When I started running, that was my favorite thing about it- the scenery. I've never been a fan of treadmills for that reason.

On more ambitious days, Claire and I will take a drive to try and find new places to go running. A little while ago I found a really nice place. The problem is that it is about 10 miles away. I haven't been able to find anything closer than that. The perfect place to run for me has a clear trail, with distance markers, surrounded by trees and if possible is parallel to a body of flowing water. In Ann Arbor, the Arboretum at U of M. In Lansing, the River Trail and MSU campus. In Utah, the Jordan River Parkway. Here, I think I've found the nearly perfect place for us. Why does it have to be 10 miles away? Well, when we are looking for a house, if ever - location within walking distance of perfect trail -will be non-negotiable.

Today was a beautiful day for a run, by the way. 72 degrees, with a nice gray blue sky with puffy clouds.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Man, that does look like the perfect trail. In MN we lived next to the Douglas Trail, and from your description it sounds like it would have been perfect for you too! 30 miles with mile markers, shaded by a canopy of trees, running right along a little creek with frogs and butterflies. We loved it there. I am excited to join you in the trail hunt as soon as I can walk again :)

Kristi said...

P.S. I am sorry that the chick-fil-a thing didn't work out. I was looking forward to hearing you sing Elvis songs, but we didn't make it!