" I have a question for you. When you sent some new baby pictures, I noticed a scar on your neck. Do you mind me asking what it’s from? "
I don't mind, so I replied:
"To answer your question about the scar: When I was pregnant with Claire, my thyroid became enlarged... and more enlarged... and more enlarged.... I had ultrasounds, and biopsies, but nothing would give doctor's a clue as to whether it was cancer or not. So they had to go in and do what is called a frozen section biopsy. They open you up take out a piece of tissue and freeze it and the test is supposed to tell you right away if the tissue has a malignancy or not. So... my thyroid nodules were benign. They took out half of my thyroid. I was seven months pregnant with Claire at the time and it was a real blessing that it was benign. I was having trouble breathing regularly at night too because of the size of my thyroid and the pressure on my wind pipe. So I appreciated the new lightness in my neck afterwards... even though the scar is a nasty one. But, if there would have been cancer, they would have had to induce labor early and I would have had to go through radiation therapy... even though prognosis for thyroid cancer is almost always positive, I'm glad that I didn't have it. Turns out my thyroid still works fine too, no need for pills. Sometimes I look at myself and think I would like to get some thyroid enhancers... but every time I get my blood work back - it's normal... :) I guess I have to lose weight the regular old way though eating right and exercise."
This is me (pre-scar) about 15 weeks pregnant with Claire at my sister's wedding. Notice the size of that neck?!
This is me about 8 months pregnant with Claire - post scar - notice the size of those feet? ...ouch... That didn't have anything to do with the thyroid, just swelling from summer humidity and pregnancy.
There is my fresh scar. And Lillian... what a cutie!
Me, My scar, and Claire at about 6 months old all bundled up and ready for bed - Ah, those Michigan winters.... Notice the indentation right above the scar. That is how women's necks are supposed to look. Mine didn't look that way - it just had big lump there.
This is about how it looks now. I'm hoping someday it will lighten up. I hear there is always laser surgery, but for now I'm stuck with it. I really am thankful that it wasn't cancer and that I was able to have two successful, relatively healthy pregnancies. And especiallythat I was able to delivery two practically perfect children, of course! We were also extremely blessed by the job I had at the time that paid all of my really good health insurance premiums. We paid nothing even after I had stayed overnight in the hospital for monitoring because of the pregnancy. The staff of the branch of the credit union I was working at even brought us meals for a week after my surgery. This was a scary experience, but we made it through it. We are so grateful to our heavenly father for helping us through it and that we didn't have more complications arise from it. We are also so thankful to our friends and family for their prayers and help.
So, there you have it...
5 comments:
I found your blog from S&S - I also know alot of folks from East Lansing and the University ward back 2002-3. Anyways, Mederma makes a cream that you can put on scars to lighten them and decrease the scar tissue - in some cases it can make the scar almost nonexistent. I had a cyst removed from the same area of the neck about 2.5 years ago. After using mederma for 2-3 weeks, 2x/day the scar is very faint.
Also glad you didn't have to go through cancer treatment - my best friend did and she is fine, but it would be hard with a new baby too.
Sarah,
I have to say I was looking through the pictures and thought, man Claire looks a lot like Lillian in that picture. Then I read the caption...
I am glad it wasn't cancerous as well. I knew bits and pieces of the story but not to this extent. Thanks for sharing so openly. :)
what a blessing that it was benign. that could be so scary. thanks for sharing your story!
and your babies are perfect! they are so darn cute :)
What's up Sarah! So good to come upon your blog (and the rest of the Adam's family). What a crazy thyroid story! That must of been very nerve-racking. So glad it turned out okay. I have so many friends that have had thyroid problems in their young lives... I never knew it was so common! Hope all is well with your family.
Wow, I didn't know it happened when you were pregnant. As if being pregnant with your first child isn't hard enough all ready. What a huge blessing it turned out fine.
I don't know if you are self-conscious about the scar or not, you always seem so together to me that I don't really think so. But if you are...
And I cut my leg open when I was 12 and have a huge scar on my leg, it takes up most of my shin. It's faded over time but at the time when I was just about to start shaving my legs (and living in CA) to have such an awful scar was horrible. My mom quickly told me I could have plastic surgery when I was older (I had to stop growing). 5 years later it didn't even bother me. And I dated and got married with it but it quickly sorted out the losers who thought it was gross. Seriously if you can't handle an imperfect leg, then there is no way they could have handled being married to me I can only strive to be perfect at 3 or 4 things at a time, the rest is a disaster:-)
Post a Comment