Easter Sunday I found out that I was accepted into a program at ASU to get my Masters Degree in Early Childhood Education. It's exciting, yet scary. I won't be starting until the Fall and I'll be going full-time. Luckily, the coursework is mostly online. And with Aaron's fellowship, my classes are free just like his. It is such a fabulous opportunity! So, this fall we will have two full-time students in the house. Am I crazy?
When we were getting ready to move to Arizona, I had all these ideas in my head about how I could make extra money to put Aaron through graduate school. I knew an awesome lady at church who had opened a preschool in her home and was having success. She said she never needed to advertise - just spread the word at church... I went to visit her in her home and her set up was so cute, so organized, and her program was just what I was looking for. I wanted to do that! Morning hours only, four days a week... making some money, while engaging my daughter in play and learning.
So, we move to Arizona and things weren't working out, school had already started - it starts so early here! Then, we had two girls Claire's age in our ward at church - TWO as opposed to the twenty something that we had grown accustomed to back in Texas. We had no money for the set up or learning materials that I would need. Gradually, I accepted the idea to do daycare instead. I'm now watching a little boy, he's two years old, four days a week and I'm mostly very happy with that situation.
But, I'm back to investigating preschools for Claire for this fall and I can't help dreaming about my own little preschool, with lots of music time, a little flower garden, and happy little three and four year olds, holding hands, singing and dancing around the 'mulberry bush'. So I'm back on track to my goal of preschool owner/teacher. Gradually, I've been testing lessons and activities out on the three children I watch everyday and using the money I've made from babysitting to purchase some materials.
But this fall - I'm anxious... How will I keep the house clean, the lawn picked up, my own children out of trouble, watch day care kids, do all the shopping, and the cooking, fulfill my church assignments and go to school full-time? I am crazy... I knew it.
5 comments:
Not crazy! I definitely think you can handle it. Congratulations on getting accepted!
Yep - you are crazy. But you can do it, and you will love it, and your kids will have happy memories of their preschool years. Good luck with running a school and going to school. Congratulations.
I know you probably feel like it will be crazy, and it will, but you can do it! The thing is, I feel like the more I have on my plate the more I accomplish. I do better at keeping the house clean when I am busy with homework, regular work, etc. I don't know how that works. Congratulations!
Congratulations! That is so exciting! It will be difficult, but you will be so proud of yourselves once you are done! Keep it in perspective, a clean house or a fulfilling a dream...Which one will matter to you in 10 years.
So some times the bathroom won't get cleaned and the dishes will sit until you are ready to do them. It won't be the end of the world. It will be hard and somedays you will want to quit but you won't. You'll keep going and you can do it. Good luck and enjoy going back to school! This is such a great opportunity!
Post a Comment