May has been an interesting month. I was wondering when 100 degrees would hit and so far so good. It got here a couple of days ago and its not so bad in the shade. But still that pool next door on the other side of that fence looks more and more tempting everyday. Our neighbors, in Michigan most of the year, never use it - it's just there, just out of reach, taunting us...
Last fall, on the three nights of the week that Aaron was at class, the kids and I started making ice cream cones and sitting outside to watch the sunset and the planes fly by. We live not too far from the Phoenix Airport. Noel, who could hardly speak then, would point up into the sky and say, "air-pay-muh". He could spot them so well. We'd devour our ice cream cones and then go inside for bath-time and bedtime. Ice cream was almost part of the routine.
This week I was supposed to have surgery to fix a problem that has arisen from a surgery I had last year. My thirties have not been treating me so well. To add the the problems, three weeks ago I started feeling sick - really sick - and I'd felt that something was wrong for a while, but I couldn't put my finger on it. After seeing doctors and lots of icky lab tests, we have come to the conclusion that I am lactose intolerant. Me - Miss Ice Cream Addict - am lactose intolerant!
So far, I am doing well. There is Almond milk, which is really yummy and coconut ice cream is pretty good too. But I didn't think about cheese, butter, yogurt, sour cream, buttermilk, all the other things that we have been eating in our meals my whole life! And, since I just found out, my fridge and freezer are full of products like these (Blue Bell ice cream was buy one get one free just last week and I caved)... just sitting there... taunting me...
So - if you have one, what is your favorite dairy free meal - or dairy substitute?
5 comments:
Poor Sarah. I definitely would struggle with that as well. I wish I had some good suggestions but unfortunately all I can offer is my sympathy.
So sorry! I went off dairy for the first 6 months of Jake's life and it was so hard. Almost everything has some form of dairy. I don't even like cheese and milk very much as it is and it was so hard. I did drink almond and rice milk. I make smoothies without milk - they are super healthy, but very filling and yummy. spinach, kale, collard greens (or whatever combination of those that i have), banana, strawberries, blueberries (if I have them), and some ice to make it cold. Sounds weird but I eat them almost everyday.
Hey, I wonder if I have that problem too, been feeling icky for the past year! Anyway, check out this website, it is vegan and has tons of yummy sounding recipes. I have been attempting to replace milk in my diet slowly and this website has a lot of substitions for dairy and other thingd. Good luck!
http://www.greenereating.com/
Oh, I'm so sorry. Although, I'm relieved a little bit, I was afraid there was something very wrong. I hope you find some good alternatives to dairy.
So does lactose intolerant mean absolutely no dairy? at all? sorry, all I've got is sympathy too. And darn that next door pool taunting you all day. I finally made friends with a couple of neighbors with pools when our kids were small.
Post a Comment